There are few adventures nicer than sailing Greek islands, and there’s no more ideal place for sailing in Greece than Sporades islands
Sporades are Greek islands in the northwest part of the Aegean sea. Placed near the Pagasitikos gulf, below the beautiful Pilion mountain. They are blessed with unique beauty and an ambient of green landscapes and crystal blue water, perfect for sailing. Greek islands Sporades consist of three main islands and around 20 smaller ones.
The largest islands are Skiathos, Skopelos and Alonisos. We are offering you an 8 day cruise plan, during which we’ll visit some of the most beautiful beaches and hidden beauties of these islands.
Renting a yacht with a skipper is the right choice for an exciting adventure and joy that can be experienced when sailing the Greek islands. We promise you that the excitement and the pleasure of Sporades will be unforgettable and you’ll always be wanting to return to its charms.
This cruise plan is our proposition of how to arrange sailing, but of course it can be customized to suit your wishes and changes can be arranged with the skipper on board. Prices for this program can be seen on our page: Sailing Greece – prices.
1. day: Volos – Trikeri
- Volos – meeting the skipper, getting supplies of food and water, boarding the yacht before 16:00 and leaving Volos.
- Short cruise to Trikeri, in Pagasitikos bay, swimming, sightseeing this beautiful fishing town, enjoying a romantic Greek tavern night, before bedtime.
2. day: Trikeri – Skiathos
- Leaving Trikeri, in the morning, sailing for Skiathos.
- Well before noon, arriving to Kukunario, on Skiathos island.
- Rest and swimming on the sand beaches of this exclusive resort.
- Before the evening, we sail towards the town of Skiathos, evening out exloring this mundane town.
3. day: Skiathos – Neo Klima (Skopelos)
- Cruise around the beautiful Skiathos island. There is the Lalaria beach, depicted in the most beautiful postcards from Greece. Ancient 14th century town of Kastro – Byzantine culture legacy. The imposing Kastro fortress is placed at the cliff, as if it rises straight from the sea.
- In the afternoon we sail towards Neo Klima, on Skopelos, sightseeing the typical Greek small town, then spending the night.
4. day: Neo Klima (Skopelos) – Skopelos (town)
- In the morning we explore Skopleos island’s western coast . Whole day of enjoying the beautiful bays of this Norther Sporades pearl. Beaches Milia and Kastani are the sights of the romantic scenes from the mega-popular film hit “Mamma Mia!” There are also the lovely bays of Panormos, Limnonari, Agnondas and Stafilos.
- Departing for the town of Skopelos in the late afternoon. Its beauty charms everyone, with a breathtaking view of the marina from numerous taverns. Here we spend our fourth night.
5. day: Skopelos – Panormos (bay – Skopelos)
- Sailing along the eastern coast of Skopelos, swimming in the magical Glisteri bay, where the chapel depicted in “Mamma Mia!” film is placed. Taking some photos, then we fill the sales, while viewing nice churches built in the rocks of the picturesque island.
- Spending the night in the green Panormos bay, on Skopelos’s western coast.
6. day: Skopelos – Alonisos
- In the morning we set sail towards Alonisos. This magical island hides fairytale like sand beaches and bays with colours ranging from golden to red.
- Anchoring in Votsi and enjoying the beauty of this town.
7. day: Votsi (Alonisos) – Kyra Panagia
- After awakening, sails up for the Kyra Panagia island.
- As the sun passes the zenith, Planitis bay should be welcoming us. Far from the civilization, united with the sea and the nature, we spend another night of our journey.
8. day: Kyra Panagia – Alonisos
- Kyra Panagia – an island of untouched nature. Whole day of swimming in the clearest waters, and pleasant surprises in discovering this hidden peral of the Aegean sea.
- In the afternoon we set sail for Alonisos, where we spend the night in one of the bays of this charming island.
9. day: Alonisos – Skopelos
- Swimming and enjoying some of the numerous Alonisos bays.
- Departing for Skopelos in the afternoon, to spend another night in the beautiful small town.
10. day: Skopelos – Agnondas (bay)
- Whole day of sailing and swimming on Skopelos beaches.
- Spending the night in one of the most beautiful bays – Agnondas.
11. day: Agnondas – Peristera
- Sailing for Peristera island in the morning. Sightseeing hidden bays and beaches, enjoying the natural beauties of this wild island, disconnected from the civilization for a moment.
- Spending the night in one of the Peristera bays.
12. day: Peristera – Skopelos
- Un the morning, we leave the lovely Peristera, stopping for swims on the secluded beaches on the way, paying a visit to one of the Alonisos bays that is along the way.
- Continuing our journey towards Skopelos, spending the night in the beautiful “Limnonari” bay there.
13. day: Skopelos – Skiathos
- Morning, rising the anchor, taking a swim in one of the Skopelos bays, then sailing towards the island of Skathos.
- Docking in the Skiathos town. Evening stroll along the city, before bedtime.
14. day: Skiathos – Pagasitikos (bay) – Trikeri
- Cruising towards Pagasitikos bay, stopping by at Kukunario beach on Skiathos, where we go swimming and enjoy the sight of the long sandy beach surrounded by pine trees.
- In the evening we arrive at Trikeri, where we had spent the first night of our journey. Another magical night in a tavern, with Greek music.
15. day: Trikeri – Volos
- Breakfast, packing, at 10:00 we depart for Volos.
- Saying good byes until further adventures in sailing the Greek islands!
More details about the Greek islands of Sporades
East Skpelos and Alonisos are a part of the Greak sea national park, an area of rare biodiversity. Skopelos is the place where sea turtles are born, while Alonisos and the magical Planet island in the North are the residence of a rare Mediterranean otter Monachus-Monachus. All this makes the Sporades cruise even more exciting – with all its sea caves, beautiful bays, it awakens and exploring spirit and shows all the charms of sailing.
Kira Panagia island was named after Holy Mary, in Greek. Peace and beauty of this place are exceptional. A very popular docking site is near the Saint Peter’s rock, but all the other places on the island are also marvelous. You can make sailing excursions to the nearby rocks, or even sail to the northern bay of the island, with an impressive narrow entrance, and confirm to yourself how good the idea of renting a yacht with a skipper was. Rich nature, both above and below the sea level, will fill your free time, your memories and, above all, your soul.
Note: swimming, diving and making photos and sailing in Greece are allowed of course everywhere, except in parts that have special protection. They are allowed in all the areas of the sea national park Northern Sporades, except the western coast Kira Panagia, island Liour northeastern of Kira Panagia and island Piperi, east of Kira Panagia.
Charms that cruising the Greek islands of northern Aegean brings aren’t the only joys within your grasp. You must experience the gastronomic enjoyment of famous domestic pies and, if you enjoy fresh fish and sea food, you are at the perfect place, because tasty fish, masterfully prepared, is served in traditional Greek taverns.
From deep, clear waters, to small caves and endless sandy beaches, approachable only via sea, this sea national park offers you unforgettable moments of summer that only a cruise like this can provide. Greek islands of Sporades are blessed with lovely and calm weather during the entire year. Summers are hot and sunny, with meltemia (northern winds) in July and August to help sailors in their adventures.
Don’t miss the other important attractions of Sporades:
- Skiathos: protected water reservation of Strofilia lake, colossal white rocks of Lalaria beach and unique beach Kukunario.
- Skopelos: remains of ancient Roman baths in Loutraki, swimming the crystal blue waters and famous domestic pies and candy.
- Skiros: home made china and wooden sculptures, Ahili bay, from where Achilles went to the Trojan war.
- Alonisos: unique lonely beaches, tasty local specialities such as home made pies, stuffed squid, fried figs with honey, with the famous Mediterranean otters (Monachus Monachus) in the National park Alonisos.